Tuesday 9 October 2007

Madagascar update 2

Well, it's been a bit of a steep learning curve for me this week, but then I
expected nothing less. We've started to transfer the responsibilities over
from Jenny, the current expedition manager, to Justin and I. This has
started with a whole load of accounts and financial stuff. Not my forte. I'm
sure with a bit of practice, we'll be ontop of it all in no time. Though it
does all seem a tad overcomplicated.
Then there are the responsibilities for the expensive (and very essential) pieces of equipment. In itself, that's not too complicated. The biggest pain is the fact that everything needs charging up - the satellite phones, the radios and various batteries. This wouldn't be so much of a problem if a) we had electricity all the time b) the rechargeable batteries were half-way decent (which they're not), c) the
charger was half-way decent (which it isn't), and d) the contact parts for rechargeable bit on the phones and radios were half way decent (which they're not). So, what this all means is that you charge up batteries, and think they're charged but as they don't always retain their charge if they're not used they run out really quickly. OR, you think you've left something on charge, and come back to the room and find out that it isn't actually charging at all because you need to fiddle around with everything!
However, we did find some wire wool in our bathroom and that has helped.
Justin has also managed to mend a couple of the broken GPSs and got to use his dive knife to shave a little bit off our screen door so that it now shuts. He is rapidly turning into Mr Fixit.
The other things we have to remember is also when all of these bits of equipment need to be passed on to people - so for example, although we remembered last night to give the GPS and two satellite phones to a member of staff for the 6am dive, we managed to forget the radio (for communication between the shore and the boats, not for listening to the Archers), and so were woken at 6.10 am with a knock on the door! Oops! But then, we won't be forgetting that again!

As well as the accounts, which pretty much need daily monitoring and logging, I'm also trying to get some in-water training in. So far I've done my scuba review (where I had to show the dive leader that I can take my mask off underwater and replace it and a couple of other tasks) taken my invertebrates test in water. I failed it - but only by one - so I was quite pleased with myself because I haven't had a chance (unlike the volunteers) to go to any of the lectures. My knowledge is basically what I've picked up previously from recreational diving and from doing Operational Wallacea 6 years ago. I have now passed the computer invertebrates test though. Hoorah.

All the volunteers get science trained in their first three weeks - this includes having to learn and be tested on a number of invertebrates and fish species. In the second three weeks, they get to use this science training and help out with the ongoing research. it's therefore important for me know the same information as them so that a) I can help out with future research if it's necessary and if I have time and b) so that eventually I can help with in-water training too. Obviously it's not as essential for me to know as the accounts and logistical stuff, but it's a lot more fun! It seems odd to be bothering with a large volume of tedious admin and accounts from a beach hut rather than a 'proper' office. But that's how it is.
As well as the daily admin, accounts, electronic stuff and volunteer welfare, there's also staff (both Malagasy and overseas staff) and organisational issues to take on board, local village politics, and larger organisational issues that I also need to be concerned with. It's a lot to take on board. I hope to get there at some point! Hopefully before I leave!!!!

The remoteness really is the biggest logistical nightmare. When things break, unless Justin and his trusty dive knife can fix it, they pretty much stay broken (especially electronic stuff) and we rely on them being brought out from the UK (if they can't be bought in Tulear). This means it can take months and months for new things to get out to us. Happily however we're not so remote that we can't buy any 'home comforts'. I have just discovered a small shop in the local village which sells Madagascan dark chocolate - 72% - with Madagascan vanilla. It's also supposedly 'fairtrade' according
to the label. Hoorah. So obviously that's going to make my stay here MUCH more bearable!
Although the remoteness is a pain in one way, it's really wonderful not to hear any news at all. Interestly, I haven't been fussed about the lack of news or not being able to log onto the internet. Anything could be happening in the world and I wouldn't know. Hoorah! Ignorance is definitely bliss.
Other updates: I've been managing to keep up the yoga/meditation - though not every day. But most days, I'm up early and spend between 7 and 8 doing some stretching, breathing and taking in of the view. I've only managed one swim so far. I really ought to try and get three in a week. That would be the plan anyway... ..

Final update for now: We've just heard a pretty unhappy chicken complain about being hung upside down and carried by his legs toward the kitchen. I'm guessing there will be chicken for lunch.

No comments: